Sumatriptan injections: Imigran is the new funded brand
The funded brand of sumatriptan injections are changing from Sun-Pharma or Clustran prefilled pens to Imigran prefilled pens.
On this page
What is changing?
The funded brand of sumatriptan injections are changing from Sun-Pharma or Clustran prefilled pens to Imigran prefilled pens. Sumatriptan injections are used to relieve headache and migraines.
Your new brand is available from 1 April 2020
- From 1 April 2020 Imigran prefilled pen were funded.
- From 1 September 2020 Sun-Pharma and Clustran prefilled pens are longer be funded.
If you want to keep using your current brand of sumatriptan injections, you can ask your pharmacist to check the price and availability. PHARMAC cannot guarantee the availability or price of Clustran or Sun-Pharma Sumatriptan injections after 1 September 2020.
Imigran works in the same way as the other brand
- Imigran has the same active ingredient as Sun Pharma and Clustran, this means it should have the same effect as the other brand.
- Imigran has been thoroughly evaluated by Medsafe to ensure it’s safe and works.
How is Imigran different from Sun-Pharma or Clustran?
- The injector device of Imigran is different from the injector device for Sun Pharma and Clustran. The Sun Pharma and Clustran injection is a pre-filled autoinjector that you use once but the Imigran injector device is an autoinjector device and you get refills from the pharmacy.
- Make sure you get the device with your first prescription as well as the refills.
- It is important that you familiarise how the new device works before you need to use it, talk to your pharmacist and/or watch the video below so you feel comfortable with the new device before it is needed.
Information for health care professionals
Brand changes are common and you play an important role in supporting patients through changes to their medicines.
We've prepared some material for you to share with people as they change their brand of sumatriptan.
Key points to tell your patients about the change in brands of sumatriptan
Imigran has the same active ingredient as both Sun Pharma and Clustran.
This means the new brand of medication is just as safe and works the same as the old brand. They shouldn’t notice any difference in how it affects them.
The injector device has changed.
The Sun Pharma and Clustran injection is a pre-filled autoinjector that they use once but the Imigran injector device is an autoinjector device and they get refills from the pharmacy.
There is a video to watch so they know how to use the device.
Information for pharmacists
Initially patients will need both the Imigan injection refill (799661) and the device (799653).
Always check when dispensing that they have a device to administer the medication.
Who to contact
It’s understandable that you might have questions about these changes.
You should talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns about changes to medicines.