Permanent coronary drug-eluting stents
Pharmac has undertaken a market share arrangement for permanent coronary drug-eluting stents – an implantable medical device that is used by interventional cardiologists in Te Whatu Ora hospitals.
At least 65% of the permanent coronary drug-eluting stents purchased by Te Whatu Ora would be supplied by Boston and from the following brands:
- Promus Elite
- Synergy XD
- Synergy Megatron
Boston’s drug-eluting stents are known and widely used in New Zealand. Pharmac received detailed clinical advice about this proposal.
What does this mean for Te Whatu Ora hospitals?
From 1 March 2023 until 28 February 2026:
- Boston would be the major supplier of permanent coronary drug-eluting stents and would have Principal Supply Status (PSS).
- At least 65% of the permanent coronary drug-eluting stents used in Te Whatu Ora hospitals must be purchased from Boston.
- The remaining 35% can be bought from other suppliers of permanent coronary drug-eluting stents (this is the Alternative Brand Allowance).
What would this mean for patients?
There would be no change for patients who already have a permanent coronary drug-eluting stent. Suitable treatment options will continue to be available for patients nationwide. The 35% Alternative Brand Allowance would allow Te Whatu Ora hospitals to continue to treat patients with another permanent coronary drug-eluting stent when necessary.
Pharmac first undertook market share procurement for permanent coronary drug-eluting stents in 2017. Market share agreements guarantee suppliers a specified portion of Te Whatu Ora hospital purchasing, in return for quality products at competitive prices.
Pharmac release a further RFP for the supply of permanent coronary drug-eluting stents under a market share arrangement in 2022.
After Pharmac evaluated the proposals, we then consulted on a proposal to award Principal Supply Status to Boston Scientific New Zealand Limited (Boston).
Key documents related to Pharmac’s activity in relation to market share procurement for permanent coronary drug eluting stents can be found here:
- Proposal to award Principal Supply Status for permanent coronary drug-eluting stents to Boston Scientific New Zealand Limited (August 2022)
- RFP - supply of permanent coronary drug-eluting stents (March 2022)
- Notification – Decision to award market share for permanent coronary drug eluting stents in DHBs (March 2019)
- Proposal to award market share for permanent coronary drug eluting stents (November 2018)
- RFP - Supply of permanent coronary drug-eluting stents (November 2017)
PHARMAC takes advice from clinical experts in all our major decisions. The Interventional Cardiology Advisory Group (ICAG) is made up of clinicians who were nominated by the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand and other key stakeholders. The Group gave PHARMAC objective clinical advice to assist in this decision.