Decision to maintain full subsidy for gefitinib (Iressa) from 1 April 2017
PHARMAC is pleased to announce the approval of a proposal to maintain full subsidy for gefitinib (Iressa) from 1 April 2017 through an agreement with with AstraZeneca Limited.
The proposal was approved as consulted on with no changes.
In summary, the effect of the decision is that:
- The subsidy for gefitinib tab 250 mg will remain the same as it is now from 1 April 2017, rather than being reduced as previously notified, and it will be fully funded for all eligible patients.
- The net price for gefitinib tab 250 mg will reduce from 1 April 2017 via confidential rebate.
- Iressa will have protection from subsidy reduction and delisting until 31 December 2019.
- There will be no changes to the current Special Authority criteria or hospital restrictions for gefitinib.
- Some of the previously notified changes to the Special Authority for erlotinib (Tarceva) will not be implemented as these would only have been required if gefitinib was not fully funded at 1 April 2017.
We appreciate all of the feedback that we received and acknowledge the time people took to respond. All consultation responses received by 25 January 2017 were considered in their entirety in making a decision on the proposed changes. Responses were supportive of the proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.