Decision to list infusion and feeding devices supplied by Becton Dickinson Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of listing agreements for the supply of medical devices to DHBs.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with Becton Dickinson Limited (“BD”) for the supply of:
- infusion equipment and associated devices
- Non-dedicated & consumable infusion devices;
- Feeding equipment and associated devices; and
- Non-dedicated feeding devices.
In summary this will result in:
- Infusion equipment and associated devices and non-dedicated & consumable infusion devices (“infusion devices”), and feeding equipment and associated devices and non-dedicated feeding devices (“feeding devices”) from BD being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 December 2021 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of infusion and feeding devices as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
This decision was subject to a consultation letter dated 16 September 2021.
No changes have been made to the proposal following consultation.
Who we think will be most interested
- DHB staff including but not limited to:
- Procurement officers and supply chain personnel
- Clinical engineers and maintenance services
- ICU, emergency, and critical care staff
- Perioperative care staff
- Nurses (both inpatient and community based)
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
Pharmac has previously issued Request for Proposals (“RFPs”) for:
- supply of infusion devices (including non-dedicated and consumable infusion devices and infusion equipment and associated devices)
- supply of feeding devices and/or special foods delivered enterally or orally.
The RFPs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Pharmac has been working with suppliers who responded to the RFPs to seek provisional agreements and this is the latest proposal to be contracted as a result of these processes.
DHBs can continue to choose which Infusion and Feeding Devices they purchase, including those from other suppliers. DHBs that purchase these products from BD must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Pharmac Agreement from 1 December 2021.
The list of products will be available on Pharmac’s website from 1 December 2021, in both PDF and Excel spreadsheet formats.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
All consultation responses received by 14 October 2021 were considered in their entirety in making the decision to list BD’s infusion and feeding devices.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
Support for listing of the medical devices and that the Agreement is not for sole supply.
No technical or resource impacts are anticipated as a result of the proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at email@example.com; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.