Persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection
People with persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection can access a range of COVID-19 treatments from New Zealand’s portfolio.
Using the access criteria below, clinicians in Te Whatu Ora Hospitals can access the following treatments to treat persistent SARS-CoV-2:
- nirmatrelvir with ritonavir (Paxlovid)(external link)
- molnupiravir (Lageviro)(external link)
- remdesivir (Veklury)(external link)
- tixagevimab with cilgavimab (Evusheld)(external link)
Prescriptions must be endorsed by the prescriber confirming that the patient meets the following Access Criteria.
Initial Application – Treatment of persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection*
Access criteria - Any relevant practitioner
Approvals are valid for patients where the prescribing clinician confirms the patient meets the following criteria and has endorsed the prescription accordingly.
All of the following:
- Patient has laboratory confirmed diagnosis of persistent SARS-CoV-2 infection (≥20 days); and
- Patient is immunocompromised; and
- A multidisciplinary team (including an infectious disease physician) considers the treatment plan to be appropriate.
Note: Indications marked with * are unapproved indications.