Identifying people at high risk for severe illness from COVID-19
Clinicians can use this list to identify people at high risk of severe COVID-19.
This list defines conditions that put people at high risk of severe COVID-19 for criteria 4.11 for nirmatrelvir with ritonavir and remdesivir.
- chronic lung or airways disease
- serious heart conditions such as congestive heart failure, coronary artery disease, rheumatic heart disease and congenital heart disease
- poorly controlled hypertension
- chronic neurological or neuromuscular disease
- significant developmental disability
- chronic kidney disease
- severe liver disease such as cirrhosis
- severe haematological disorders
- severe mental illness such as schizophrenia, major depressive disorder, bipolar or schizoaffective disorder
- active cancer
- morbid obesity — a body mass index (BMI) greater than 35
- people currently in contact with secondary and tertiary mental health and addiction services
- people with mental health and addiction issues who are currently homeless or without permanent housing.