Decision to list medical devices supplied by Hologic (Australia & New Zealand) Pty Limited
Te Pātaka Whaioranga - Pharmac is pleased to announce the approval of listing agreements for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora hospitals.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with Hologic (Australia & New Zealand) Pty Limited (“Hologic”) for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora hospitals in the following categories:
- laboratory equipment and consumables ("laboratory equipment"); and
- Medical imaging, software and associated products ("medical imaging").
In summary this will result in:
- Listing of Hologic’s laboratory equipment and consumables and medical imaging, software and associated products in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 February 2023;
- A national agreement with Hologic for the above-mentioned categories that all Te Whatu Ora Hospitals may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- Te Whatu Ora hospitals being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of laboratory equipment and medical imaging products as this agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
Following consultation feedback Pharmac re-engaged with Hologic and made changes to the agreement covering:
- Pricing for some ancillary services relating to medical devices in the agreement
- Terms covering procurement and provision of laboratory equipment
- Terms covering installation/commissioning of medical imaging products
Who we think will be most interested
- Te Whatu Ora staff in a range of different clinical settings including but not limited to:
- Radiology staff
- Laboratory staff
- Clinical engineers and maintenance services
- Procurement and supply chain personnel
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
The tenders were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Pharmac has been working with suppliers who responded to the procurement processes above to seek provisional agreements. This proposal consists of the latest agreement to arise from these processes and we expect to consult on further provisional agreements with suppliers in these categories in the future.
Te Whatu Ora hospitals can continue to choose which laboratory quipment and medical imaging products they procure, including those from other suppliers. Te Whatu Ora hospitals that procure these medical devices from Hologic will do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the agreement from 1 February 2023.
Our response to what you told us
We’re really grateful for the time people took to review the consultation on this proposal.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback, our responses to the feedback received, and changes we have made after listening to you are available below.
Request to list medical imaging devices for wound care
These products are likely to be in scope of the medical imaging category. Pharmac expects to consult on further agreements in this category and will assess relevant products for listing with individual suppliers as they arise.
Continuation of current procurement practices for the laboratory equipment and medical imaging categories is strongly valued by Te Whatu Ora hospitals.
Pharmac has negotiated the agreement to enable current procurement practices to continue as much as practicable. Progression on to standard Pharmac terms and conditions will incur additional benefits through elements such as standardised supply obligations and stock holdings. Where Pharmac terms differ to current terms for procurement Pharmac has made endeavours to mitigate any impacts.
Pharmac contracting for laboratory equipment must allow customisation of what is purchased and how it is integrated at the Te Whatu Ora hospital level.
Pharmac recognises the complexity of devices provision in the laboratory space. Under this agreement hospitals retain autonomy for what devices/equipment they purchase and from whom. The agreement terms cover provision of ancillary services associated with maintenance and localised configuration.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.