Decision to list medical devices supplied by Universal Specialities Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to DHBs.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with Universal Specialities Limited (“USL”) for the supply of:
- obstetrics and gynaecology medical devices; and
- rehabilitation equipment, patient positioning products and supports (“rehabilitation products”).
In summary this will result in:
- obstetrics and gynaecology medical devices and rehabilitation products from USL being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 April 2021 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of obstetrics and gynaecology medical devices and rehabilitation products as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
No changes were made to the agreement following consultation feedback.
Who we think will be most interested
- DHB clinical staff in a range of clinical settings including:
- Clinical engineers and maintenance services
- DHB procurement and supply chain
- Perioperative staff
- Theatre staff
- Surgical, gynaecology and general ward staff
- Central sterile services personnel
- Delivery suite staff
- Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- Neurologists and Neurosurgeons
- Occupational therapists
- Orthopaedic surgeons
- Rehabilitation physicians (including spinal units)
- Speech-language therapists
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
In 2018 PHARMAC issued requests for proposals (RFPs) for:
- Supply of obstetric and gynaecology devices and related products; and
- Supply of rehabilitation equipment, patient positioning products and supports.
The RFPs requested proposals for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the evaluation process, and consulting on the provisional Agreement reached with USL, PHARMAC has decided to list USL’s obstetrics and gynaecology medical devices and rehabilitation products in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 April 2021.
DHBs can continue to choose which obstetrics and gynaecology, and rehabilitation products they purchase, including those from other suppliers. DHBs that purchase obstetrics and gynaecology, and rehabilitation products from USL must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Agreement from 1 April 2021.
The Agreement includes terms and conditions for training and education to be provided by the USL on the appropriate use of its medical devices, which is to be provided at times and in formats as agreed with individual DHBs.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
All consultation responses received by 1 March 2021 were considered in their entirety in making the decision.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
No technical or resource impacts anticipated as a result of the proposal.
Support for listing the medical devices and that the agreement is not for sole supply.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at email@example.com; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.