Strategic Direction Te Ahunga Rautaki
Pharmac's strategic goals sit within the broader health and disability sector. Our work contributes to the Government's vision of pae ora (healthy futures) for New Zealanders.
He Rongoā Pai, He Ahu Pae Ora
Through our work with medicines, vaccines, medical devices, and related products, we will build on our existing foundations and work together towards a future of health and wellbeing for our whānau.
Our mandate remains the same:
To secure the best health outcomes that are reasonably achievable from pharmaceutical treatment and from within the amount of funding provided.
Our strategic priorities
We are focusing our efforts to make the biggest impact to the health sector outcomes. Our three strategic priorities are:
Strategic management of the Combined Pharmaceutical Budget
There are significant opportunities to better plan and manage the Budget over a mediumterm horizon to ensure that we achieve the best health outcomes and health equity for New Zealanders from medicines, vaccines, and related products, while staying within the fixed budget set by Government.
Enhanced assessment & decision-making
Making improvements to ensure that we make high-quality, evidence-based, and timely funding decisions that achieve equitable health outcomes. We need clear and consistent processes for assessment and decision making, including clarity of how equity considerations and te Tiriti are embedded throughout our work.
Strategic management of medical devices
We have built strong foundations for medical device contracting and procurement. With our sector partners there are significant opportunities to maximise health benefits to New Zealanders by implementing an integrated approach to hospital medical devices, which drives better value and more consistent and equitable access.
We intend te Tiriti o Waitangi, health equity, and collaboration and engagement to be key components of Pharmac’s activities and initiatives. Underpinned by organisational excellence, they are integral to everything that we do.
The following image outlines our strategic priorities and the key factors that are part of our work.
Alignment with the sector
We are a vital part of the broader health and disability sector. Our work aligns with the principles and outcomes of the health and disability sector.
Pae ora health sector principles
The health sector should:
- be equitable, including equitable outcomes for Māori
- engage with Māori, population groups, and others to reﬂect their needs and aspirations
- provide opportunities for Māori to exercise decision-making authority
- provide choice of quality services to Māori and other population groups
- protect and promote people’s health and wellbeing.
Health Sector Outcomes
The Interim Government Policy Statement wants a health and disability sector that is:
- embedding Te Tiriti o Waitangi across the system
- laying the foundations for the success of the system
- keeping people well and independent in their communities
- achieving equity in health outcomes
- developing the workforce of the future
- ensuring a ﬁnancially stable health system
Our framework demonstrates how each principle, outcome, priority and value make up our strategic framework.
- Pharmac's Strategic Framework July 2023 [PDF 236 KB]
Our values inform our approach to our work.