RFI - Compression bandages and hosiery for the treatment of venous leg ulcers
PHARMAC is interested in receiving information from suppliers, DHBs, service providers and treating clinicians on the use and supply of:
- compression bandages for the treatment of venous leg ulcers
- compression hosiery for the treatment of venous leg ulcers
- compression hosiery butlers; and
- compression hosiery top bands.
As a part of this process PHARMAC would welcome any expressions of interest from suppliers who would be interested in pursuing a listing agreement with PHARMAC. Any listing agreement arising from this process would be on a non-exclusive basis. In the future PHARMAC may decide to conduct a competitive process which could result in an exclusive listing agreement (or agreements).
At the end of 2011, PHARMAC received an application for the funding of compression hosiery for the treatment of venous leg ulcers (VLU) to be considered in the community. The application was reviewed by the Dermatology Subcommittee of PTAC (Dermatological Subcommittee) at its’ 15 May 2012 meeting. It recommended that compression hosiery be listed on the Pharmaceutical Schedule with a medium priority and it also recommended that compression bandages for the treatment of venous leg ulcers be listed in the future.
PHARMAC does not currently fund compression bandages or hosiery for the treatment of VLU or otherwise. We understand that compression bandages are currently funded by the majority of DHBs, while the funding of compression hosiery for VLU may be inconsistent across DHBs (i.e. not funded in certain regions).
PHARMAC is interested in progressing a listing (fully funded) for compression hosiery and bandages for the treatment of VLU in Section B of the Pharmaceutical Schedule in order to ensure consistent funding for compression bandages and hosiery across all DHBs, improve funded access, obtain financial gains for DHBs and health gains for patients.
Request for information
PHARMAC staff have approached clinicians, specialist nurses and other relevant stakeholders in preparation of this RFI. However, given that this is a new area of activity for PHARMAC, we are seeking further information from clinicians, DHBs, suppliers, service providers and other interested parties. Our questions are grouped as follows:
- Suppliers and wholesalers (see Appendix 1)
- DHBs and Service Providers (see Appendix 2)
- Clinicians and specialist nurses (see Appendix 3)
You are welcome to provide feedback on any questions within this RFI, regardless of the grouping.
To provide feedback, please submit your answers in writing by 5:00 pm Friday, 5 July 2013 to:
Fax: 04 460 4995
Post: PO Box 10 254, Wellington 6143
Information requested under the Official Information Act
We are not able to treat any part of your feedback as confidential unless you specifically request that we do. If you would like us to withhold any commercially sensitive, confidential proprietary, or personal information included in your submission, please clearly state this in your submission and identify the relevant sections of your submission that you would like withheld.
Feedback we receive is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) and we will consider any request to have information withheld in accordance with our obligations under the OIA.
Process going forward
At this stage, PHARMAC expects to do the following:
- Release of request for information on Friday, 24 May 2013;
- Feedback due by Friday, 5 July 2013;
- Evaluation of feedback in July 2013;
- Further discussion with submitter(s), if necessary, in August 2013;
- If, following consideration of feedback, PHARMAC decides to progress a potential listing:
- Consulting on various proposals to list different type(s) and brand(s) of compression bandages and hosiery in September 2013;
- PHARMAC Board or its delegate to consider various proposals, including consultation feedback, to fund compression bandages and hosiery in September/October 2013;
- Implementation of funding proposals October/November 2013;
Please note that the above timeframes are approximate only and may be extended if the process takes long than anticipated.
If you have any questions about this RFI, please contact:
Therapeutic Group Manager
Telephone: (04) 916 7569
Telephone: (04) 901 3207
We look forward to receiving your feedback.
[PDF, 142 KB] Request for information on a proposal to fund compression bandages and hosiery for the treatment of venous leg ulcers