Proposal to fund a multivitamin for renal patients
PHARMAC is seeking feedback on a proposal to fund renal multivitamin capsules (Clinicians Renal Vit capsules) resulting from a provisional agreement with Natural Health Laboratories Limited (a subsidiary of Douglas Pharmaceuticals) and PHARMAC.
In summary, this proposal would result in the listing of renal multivitamin capsules (Clinicians Renal Vit) in Section B and Part II of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 October 2015. Funding would be restricted to patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD) who are on dialysis or with CKD Grade 5.
The proposal would also result in pricing being added to the existing listing in Part II of Section H for a multivitamin and mineral supplement which is restricted to patients with burns and other criteria.
Details of the proposal are set out on the following pages.
PHARMAC welcomes feedback on this proposal. To provide feedback, please submit it in writing by Friday, 21 August 2015 to:
Caroline De Luca
Senior Therapeutic Group Manager/Team Leader
PO Box 10 254
Fax: 04 460 4995
All feedback received before the closing date will be considered by PHARMAC’s Board (or its delegate) prior to making a decision on this proposal.
Feedback we receive is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) and we will consider any request to have information withheld in accordance with our obligations under the OIA. Anyone providing feedback, whether on their own account or on behalf of an organisation, and whether in a personal or professional capacity, should be aware that the content of their feedback and their identity may need to be disclosed in response to an OIA request.
We are not able to treat any part of your feedback as confidential unless you specifically request that we do, and then only to the extent permissible under the OIA and other relevant laws and requirements. If you would like us to withhold any commercially sensitive, confidential proprietary, or personal information included in your submission, please clearly state this in your submission and identify the relevant sections of your submission that you would like it withheld. PHARMAC will give due consideration to any such request
Details of the proposal
From 1 October 2015:
In relation to Clinicians Renal Vit:
- Clinicians Renal Vit capsules would be listed in Section B and Part II of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule at the following price and subsidy (ex-manufacturer, exclusive of GST):
Chemical Presentation Brand Pack size Price and subsidy Multivitamin renal capsule Clinicians Renal Vit 30 caps $8.39
- Prior to 31 September 2017, the price of Clinicians Renal Vit would reduce if a volume based sale cap is exceeded.
- From 1 October 2017 the price of Clinicians Renal Vit would reduce to $6.49 per 30 capsules
- Note: Clinicians Renal Vit capsule composition includes folic acid 400 mcg, pyridoxine HCl 10 mg (8.2 mg pyridoxine), cyanocobalamin 2.4 mcg, ferrous fumarate 24.3 mg (elemental iron 8.0 mg), ascorbic acid 60 mg, cholecalciferol 25 mcg, thiamine nitrate 1.5 mg, riboflavin 2 mg, biotin 30 mcg, calcium pantothenate 5 mg, nicotinamide 20 mg, zinc oxide 8 mg (zinc 6.43 mg), copper gluconate 0.9 mg (copper 0.12 mg), sodium selenite 55 mcg (22.99 mcg selenium).
- Clinicians Renal Vit capsules would be listed with all-at-once (STAT) dispensing.
- Clinicians Renal Vit capsules would be protected from subsidy reduction or delisting until 1 October 2018.
- Clinicians Renal Vit capsules would be listed subject to the following Special Authority criteria in the community and restrictions in the Hospital Medicines List.
Initial application from any relevant practitioner. Approvals valid without further renewal unless notified for applications meeting the following criteria:
- The patient has chronic kidney disease and is receiving either peritoneal or haemodialysis; or
- The patient has chronic kidney disease grade 5, defined as patient with an estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate of <15 ml/min/1.73m2 BSA (body surface area).
In relation to Multivitamin and Mineral Boost capsules
- The existing listing for multivitamin and mineral supplement capsules in Part II of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule would be amended to list Clinicians Multivitamin and Mineral Boost capsules at the following price (ex-manufacturer, exclusive of GST):
Chemical Presentation Brand Pack size Price Multivitamin and mineral supplement capsule Clinicians Multivitamin and Mineral Boost 180 cap $23.35
- The hospital restrictions for multivitamin and mineral supplement capsules would remain the same (as outlined below):
Limited to 3 months treatment
- Patient was admitted to hospital with burns; and
- Any of the following:
- Burn size is greater than 15% of total body surface area (BSA) for all types of burns; or
- Burn size is greater than 10% of BSA for mid-dermal or deep dermal burns; or
- Nutritional status prior to admission or dietary intake is poor.
Note: Multivitamin and mineral supplement capsule composition includes vitamin A 250 IU, thiamine 2.5 mg, riboflavin 2.5 mg, nicotinamide 12.5 mg, vitamin B5 10 mg, pyridoxine 5 mg, vitamin B12 6.25 mcg, vitamin C 125 mg, cholecalciferol 2.5 mcg, vitamin E 25 mg, betaine 12.5 mg, biotin 12.5 mcg, boron 250 mcg, calcium 25 mg, choline 6.25 mg, chromium 25 mcg, citric acid 50 mg, citrus bioflavonoid complex 50 mg, coenzyme Q10 1.25 mg, copper 125 mcg, folic acid 37.5 mg, inositol 6.25 mg, iodine 25 mcg, iron 250 mcg, L-Glutamine 6.25 mg, magnesium 12.5 mg, molybdenum 12.5 mg, manganese 0.5 mg, potassium 5 mg, selenium 18.75 mcg, zinc 1.875 mg.