Decision to list medical devices supplied by New Zealand Medical and Scientific Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to DHBs.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with New Zealand Medical and Scientific (“NZMS”) for the supply of:
- laboratory equipment and consumables
- point of care testing equipment and consumables; and
- peritoneal dialysis medical devices
In summary this will result in:
- Laboratory equipment and consumables, point of care testing equipment and consumables, and peritoneal dialysis equipment and consumables being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 December 2021 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of laboratory equipment and consumables, point of care testing equipment and consumables, and peritoneal dialysis equipment and consumables.
Any changes to the original proposal?
This decision was subject to a consultation letter dated 14 September 2021.
There were no changes made to the Agreement as a result of the consultation feedback.
Who we think will be most interested
- DHB Staff
- Clinical Engineers and maintenance services
- Clinical Product Evaluators
- Laboratory managers, scientists, technicians and other laboratory staff
- Nursing assistants
- Point of Care Testing Coordinators
- Point of Care Specialists
- Procurement Officers and supply chain personnel
- Renal unit staff
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
Pharmac has previously issued Requests for Proposals or Registrations of Interest (“RFPs/ROIs”) for:
- the supply of laboratory equipment and consumables
- listing agreements for point of care testing equipment
- the supply of various categories of medical devices, including peritoneal dialysis.
The RFP and ROIs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
The ROIs invited registrations of interest for the supply of medical devices where New Zealand Health Partnerships ("NZHP") has previously released RFP processes from suppliers for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Pharmac has been working with suppliers who responded to the RFP and the ROIs, and proposals were progressed to contract negotiation, to seek provisional agreements.
DHBs can continue to choose which laboratory equipment and consumables, point of care testing equipment and consumables, and peritoneal dialysis equipment and consumables they purchase, including those from other suppliers. DHBs that purchase laboratory equipment and consumables, point of care testing equipment and consumables, and peritoneal dialysis equipment and consumables from NZMS must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Pharmac Agreement from 1 December 2021.
The list of products will be available on PHARMAC’s website from 1 December 2021, in both PDF and Excel formats.
We expect to consult on further provisional agreements for these categories in 2021 and 2022.
Our response to what you told us
We’re appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
All consultation responses received by 26 October 2021 were considered in their entirety in making the decision to list NZMS medical devices.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
Support for the proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at email@example.com; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.