Decision to list medical devices supplied by Stryker New Zealand Limited
PHARMAC is pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for endomechanical and electrosurgical products, and surgical suction, chest and wound drainage medical devices with Stryker New Zealand Limited for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule
In summary this will result in:
- Stryker’s products being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 August 2020 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”);
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of endomechanical and electrosurgical, and surgical suction, chest and wound drainage medical devices.
Any changes to the original proposal?
No changes were made to the Agreement following consultation feedback.
Who we think will be most interested
- DHB staff:
- Clinical engineers
- Perioperative staff
- Theatre staff
- Procurement and supply chain personnel
- Surgical and general ward staff
- Central sterile services personnel
- Suppliers and Wholesalers
Details about this decision
In 2018 PHARMAC issued Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for:
- Supply of endomechanical instruments, electrosurgical instruments, energy platforms and consumable products (“Endomechanical and Electrosurgical Products”) and
- Supply of surgical suction, and chest and wound drainage products
The RFPs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the RFP evaluation processes, and consulting on the provisional Agreement reached with Stryker, PHARMAC has decided to list Stryker’s medical devices in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 August 2020.
DHBs can continue to choose which endomechanical and electrosurgical, and surgical suction, chest and wound drainage products they purchase, including those from other suppliers. DHBs that purchase endomechanical and electrosurgical, and surgical suction, chest and wound drainage products from Stryker must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Agreement, from 1 August 2020.
The Agreement includes terms and conditions for training and education to be provided by Stryker on the appropriate use of its products, which is to be provided at times as agreed with individual DHBs.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
Financial impact of the decision may be underestimated due to missing sales data
Noted. Updated information has been requested from the supplier.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll-free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.