Decision to list a range of medical devices supplied by BSN Medical Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of listing agreements for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora hospitals.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of listing agreements with BSN Medical Limited trading as Essity New Zealand (“BSN Medical”) in the following categories from 1 November 2023:
- Adhesives, sealants and haemostats; and
- Rehabilitation equipment, patient positioning products and supports (“rehabilitation products”).
In summary this will result in:
- Medical devices in the above-mentioned categories supplied by BSN Medical being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 November 2023 under a national agreement that all Te Whatu Ora hospitals may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- Te Whatu Ora hospitals being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of adhesives, sealants and haemostats, and rehabilitation products as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
No changes have been made to the original proposal as a result of the consultation.
Who we think will be most interested
- Te Whatu Ora Hospital staff, including but not limited to:
- Clinical engineers and maintenance services
- Emergency service personnel
- General ward clinicians and nurses
- Neurologists and neurosurgeons
- Occupational therapists
- Operating theatre nurses
- Orthopaedic surgeons
- Procurement officers and supply chain personnel
- Rehabilitation physicians (including spinal units)
- Speech-language therapists
- Procurement and supply chain personnel
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
The orthotic products are set out in the rehabilitation products subcategories:
- Podiatry orthotics and specialised footwear
- Immobilisers, bracing and support devices
The RFPs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the evaluation process, and consulting on the provisional Agreement reached with BSN Medical, Pharmac has decided to list adhesives, sealants and haemostats, and rehabilitation products supplied by BSN Medical in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 November 2023.
The Agreement is not for sole supply and Te Whatu Ora hospitals can continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of adhesives, sealants and haemostats, and rehabilitation products.
Te Whatu Ora hospitals that procure these products from BSN Medical must do so under the terms and conditions and at the prices included in the Agreements from 1 November 2023.
Our response to what you told us
We’re really grateful for the time people took to consider this consultation. Feedback was received by one Te Whatu Ora hospital seeking clarification on the consultation documents. Pharmac has provided further clarification to that stakeholder. No further feedback was received on this proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.