Decision to list a range of medical devices supplied by Biotronik Australia Pty Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora hospitals.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with Biotronik Australia Pty Limited (“Biotronik”) for the supply of cardiology equipment and accessories:
- electrophysiology equipment and consumables, and
- ICDs, pacemakers and associated products.
In summary this will result in:
- Listing of medical devices in the above cardiology categories supplied by Biotronik in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 November 2022 under a national agreement that all Te Whatu Ora Hospitals may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- Te Whatu Ora Hospitals being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of electrophysiology equipment and consumables and ICDs, pacemakers and associated products as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Who we think will be most interested
- DHB staff
- Cardiac Service Managers
- Cardiac Surgeons
- Cardiology unit staff
- Procurement and supply chain personnel
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
New Zealand Health Partnerships (“NZHP”) had previously released Requests for Proposals (“RFPs”) for ranges of medical devices which Pharmac may list on the Pharmaceutical Schedule. As a result of these processes, Biotronik entered into agreements with NZHP for electrophysiology equipment and consumables and ICDs, pacemakers and associated products.
In September 2020 Pharmac issued a Registration of Interest (“ROI”) for a range of medical devices, including electrophysiology equipment and consumables, considered for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
These ROIs were undertaken to transfer the responsibility for the management of electrophysiology equipment and consumables and ICDs, pacemakers and associated products from NZHP to Pharmac.
Pharmac has been working with suppliers who responded to the ROIs to seek provisional agreements.
This decision was not subject to a consultation period, as Biotronik had agreements in place with NZHP for the supply of these medical devices, and no material changes have been made to the terms and conditions.
Te Whatu Ora hospitals can continue to choose which electrophysiology equipment and consumables and ICDs, pacemakers and associated products they procure, including those from other suppliers. Te Whatu Ora Hospitals that procure these medical devices from Biotronik must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Agreement from 1 November 2022.
This is the latest agreement to arise out of the electrophysiology equipment and consumables process and we are continuing to negotiate contracts with other suppliers.
This is the final agreement for the ICDs, pacemakers and associated products category.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.