Decision to list medical devices supplied by Medix 21 Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora hospitals.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora Hospitals supplied by Medix 21 Limited (“Medix 21”) in the following category.
In summary this will result in:
- Listing surgical implants, and medical and surgical instruments and power tools supplied by Medix 21 in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 November 2022 under a national agreement that all Te Whatu Ora Hospitals may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- Te Whatu Ora Hospitals being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of surgical implants, and medical and surgical instruments and power tools as this Agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
This decision was subject to a consultation letter dated 9 August 2022.
There have been no changes to the agreement since consultation.
Who we think will be most interested
- Te Whatu Ora Hospital staff including but not limited to:
- ICU, emergency, and critical care staff
- Neurologists and Neurosurgeons
- Perioperative staff
- Sterile services personnel
- Surgical and general ward staff
- Clinical engineers and maintenance services
- Procurement and supply chain
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
In 2021 Pharmac released a Request for Proposals (“RFP”) for
The RFP was for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the evaluation process, and consulting on the provisional agreement with Medix 21, Pharmac has decided to list Medix 21’s surgical implants, and medical and surgical instruments and power tools in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 November 2022.
Te Whatu Ora Hospitals can continue to choose which surgical implants, medical and surgical instruments and power tools they procure, including those from other suppliers. Te Whatu Ora Hospitals that procure these medical devices from Medix 21 must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the agreement from 1 November 2022.
The list of products will be available on Pharmac's website from 1 November 2022 in both PDF and Excel formats.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to the consultations.
All consultation responses received by 30 August 2022 were considered in their entirety in making the decision to list medical devices supplied by Medix 21.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
No technical or resource impacts anticipated as a result of the proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.