Decision to list medical devices supplied by 3M New Zealand Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora hospitals.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with 3M New Zealand Limited (“3M”) for the supply of:
- electrocardiogram equipment and accessories (cardiology equipment)
In summary this will result in:
- Listing of electrocardiogram equipment and accessories in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 October 2022 under a national agreement that all Te Whatu Ora hospitals may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- Te Whatu Ora hospitals being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of electrocardiogram equipment and accessories as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Who we think will be most interested
- Te Whatu Ora Hospital staff including but not limited to:
- Clinical Engineers and Maintenance Services
- Clinical Product Evaluators
- Cardiac Physiologists and Perfusionists
- Maternity Care Specialists
- Procurement Officers and Supply Chain Personnel
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
New Zealand Health Partnerships (“NZHP”) has previously released Requests for Proposals (“RFPs”) for ranges of medical devices which Pharmac may list on the Pharmaceutical Schedule. In August 2019, NZHP released an RFP for electrocardiogram electrodes and an agreement between 3M and NZHP arose from this process.
The ROI was undertaken to transfer the responsibility for the management of electrocardiogram equipment and accessories from NZHP to Pharmac.
This decision was not subject to a consultation period, as 3M had an agreement in place with NZHP for its medical devices in this category, and no material changes have been made to the terms and conditions.
Te Whatu Ora hospitals can continue to choose which electrocardiogram equipment and accessories they procure, including those from other suppliers. Te Whatu Ora Hospitals that procure these medical devices from 3M must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Agreement from 1 October 2022.
Pharmac has been working with suppliers who responded to the ROI to seek provisional agreements. This is the third agreement to arise out of this process and we are continuing to negotiate contracts with other suppliers.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.