Decision to list medical devices supplied by Device Technologies New Zealand Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of listing agreements for the supply of medical devices to DHBs.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with Device Technologies New Zealand Limited (“Device Technologies”) for the supply of medical devices to DHBs in the following categories:
- Anaesthetic machines, invasive ventilators, neonatal care and critical care patient monitoring (“critical care”); and
- Medical imaging, software and associated products.
In summary this will result in:
- Device Technologies’ critical care and medical imaging devices being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 May 2022 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of the medical devices as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
No changes have been made to the original proposal.
Who we think will be most interested
- DHB clinical staff in a range of different clinical settings including but not limited to:
- Patient Monitoring
- Wards and outpatient clinics
- Perioperative staff
- Clinical engineers and maintenance services
- DHB procurement and supply chain
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
In 2020 Pharmac released a Request for Proposals (RFP):
- supply of anaesthetic machines, invasive ventilation devices and critical care patient monitoring devices
Also in 2020 NZHP released an RFP:
- RFP – Medical imaging equipment, associated consumables, accessories, software and services, and maintenance(external link)(external link)
The RFPs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Pharmac has been working with suppliers who responded to the RFPs to seek provisional agreements.
DHBs can continue to choose which critical care and medical imaging products they purchase, including those from other suppliers. DHBs that purchase critical care and medical imaging products from Device Technologies must do so in accordance with the terms and conditions, including price, in the Pharmac Agreement from 1 May 2022.
We are continuing to negotiate contracts with other suppliers in these categories throughout 2022.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
All consultation responses received by 28 March 2022 were considered in their entirety in making the decision to list Device Technologies' medical devices.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
No resource impacts anticipated as a result of the proposal.
Support for the proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at email@example.com; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.