Decision to list medical devices supplied by Fresenius Kabi New Zealand Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of listing agreements for the supply of medical devices to DHBs.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of listing agreements with Fresenius Kabi New Zealand Limited (“Fresenius Kabi”) for the supply of:
- Non-dedicated & consumable infusion devices;
- Infusion equipment and associated devices;
- Non-dedicated feeding devices; and
- Feeding equipment and associated devices.
In summary this will result in:
- Infusion and feeding devices from Fresenius Kabi being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 April 2021 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of infusion and feeding devices as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
There were no changes made to the proposal as a result of consultation feedback.
Who we think will be most interested
- DHB staff including but not limited to:
- Procurement officers and supply chain personnel
- Clinical engineers and maintenance services
- ICU, emergency, and critical care staff
- Perioperative care staff
- Nurses (both inpatient and community based)
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
In 2018 PHARMAC issued Requests for Proposals (“RFPs”) for:
- supply of infusion devices (including non-dedicated and consumable infusion devices and infusion equipment and associated devices); and
- supply of feeding devices and/or special foods delivered enterally or orally
The RFPs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the evaluation process, and consulting on the provisional Agreement reached with Fresenius Kabi, PHARMAC has decided to list this supplier’s infusion and feeding devices in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 April 2021.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
All consultation responses received by 3 March 2021 were considered in their entirety in making the decision to list Fresenius Kabi’s infusion and feeding devices.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
No technical or resource impacts anticipated as a result of the proposal.
Support for the proposal.
Comments on compatibility of some Fresenius Kabi feeding devices with DHB systems and other feeding devices currently used in the market.
Because this agreement is not for sole supply DHBs are not compelled to purchase from the supplier. DHBs can evaluate and purchase devices which they deem compatible with their local systems.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.