Approval of decisions involving boceprevir and pegylated interferon with/without ribavirin
PHARMAC is pleased to announce the approval of an agreement with Merck Sharp and Dohme (New Zealand) Limited (MSD) for the listing of boceprevir (Victrelis), and with Roche Products (New Zealand) Limited to amend the listing of pegylated interferon with/without ribavirin (Pegasys and Pegasys RBV Combination Pack). This was the subject of a consultation letter dated 19 July 2013 [PDF, 154 KB].
In summary, the effect of the decisions is
- Boceprevir (Victrelis) will be funded, under Special Authority, from 1 September 2013 for treatment of patients living with chronic hepatitis C:
- with IL-28 gene CT or TT allele; and
- who have previously been treated with pegylated interferon and ribavirin who were partial responders, responder relapsers or were treated prior to 2004;
- Victrelis will be the only funded protease inhibitor for the treatment of hepatitis C in the community until 30 June 2016;
- The funded access criteria for pegylated interferon with/without ribavirin will be widened from 1 September 2013 to cover retreatment of patients living with chronic hepatitis C who have previously been treated with pegylated interferon and ribavirin who were partial responders, responder relapsers or were treated prior to 2004 in combination with boceprevir; and
- Pegasys will be the only funded brand of pegylated interferon with/without ribavirin in the community until 30 June 2017.
- The single unit packs of Pegasys 135 mcg prefilled syringe and Pegasys 180 mcg prefilled syringe will be delisted from 1 September 2013 as these products are not registered and are not supplied by Roche.
- Rule 3.3 of Section A: General Rules of the Pharmaceutical Schedule has been amended to allow pharmacy to claim wastage on boceprevir.