Agreements with Jackson Allison Medical & Surgical Limited, Intermed Medical Limited and 3M New Zealand for the supply of sterilisation packaging products and associated consumables
PHARMAC is pleased to announce the approval of individual agreements with Jackson Allison Medical & Surgical Limited (“Jackson Allison”), Intermed Medical Limited (“Intermed”) and 3M New Zealand (“3M”) for the supply of sterilisation packaging products and associated consumables.
In summary, the effect of the decision is that:
- A range of 198 products will be listed in Section H, Part III, (‘Optional Pharmaceuticals’) of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 June 2016.
- Jackson Allison: 79 products – sterilisation pouches, reels, seal controls and sterilisation assurance indicators.
- Intermed: 88 products – sterilisation pouches, reels, seal controls, sterilisation assurance indicators and tray liners
- 3M: 31 products - sterilisation assurance indicators
- DHB hospitals can purchase these items either directly from Jackson Allison, Intermed or 3M or through a designated third party logistics provider under the national agreement.
Details of the decision
Following a two stage process for national contracting, an Expression of Interest (EOI) issued in July 2015 and a closed Request for Proposals (RFP) in October 2015, PHARMAC has entered into individual agreements with Jackson Allison, Intermed and 3M for the supply of a selection of sterilisation packaging products and associated consumables to be listed on the Pharmaceutical Schedule. This means that DHB hospitals that purchase these products must do so under the national agreement at the new pricing from 1 June 2016.
Jackson Allison, Intermed and 3M are all incumbent suppliers of sterilisation packaging products and associated consumables to DHBs.
Overall, the three agreements offer small savings to DHBs, based on current usage.
These agreements are not exclusive. DHBs can continue to purchase other brands of sterilisation packaging products and associated consumables at their discretion.
Educational services will be provided by Jackson Allison, Intermed and 3M to DHB personnel on the appropriate use of their sterilisation packaging products and associated consumables and this will be arranged in a format and at times agreed with individual DHBs.
PHARMAC appreciates all of the feedback that it has received and acknowledges the time people took to respond. All consultation responses received by 29 April 2016 were considered in their entirety in making a decision on the proposed changes. No concerns were raised regarding the proposals.
If you have any questions about this decision you can email PHARMAC at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.