Pharmac was proud to support the Vaccine Strategy's Taskforce in securing enough vaccine for every New Zealander.
Pharmac is part of the all-of-government COVID-19 Vaccine Strategy. As part of the Vaccine Strategy's Taskforce, we supported the vaccines negotiation team and supported the implementation of the vaccine strategy.
The Ministry of Health is responsible for the vaccine rollout. Details about each type, such as availability, are available on the Ministry's website.
The numbers you need to know
- 4 different vaccines secured
- 10 million doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech (enough for 5 million people)
- 2 million doses from Janssen (enough for 2 million people)
- 7.6 million doses from the University of Oxford/AstraZeneca (enough for 3.8 million people)
- 10.72 million doses from Novavax. (enough for 5.36 million people)
The COVID-19 Vaccine Strategy At A Glance
The COVID-19 Vaccine Strategy
The COVID-19 Vaccine Strategy (the Strategy) sought to ensure New Zealand’s access to safe and effective vaccines, in order to implement our preferred immunisation solution at the earliest possible time.
The Vaccine Strategy Taskforce's achievements include:
- negotiating four independent purchasing agreements with pharmaceutical companies Pﬁzer/BioNTech, Janssen, the University of Oxford/AstraZeneca and Novavax.
- joining and supporting the COVAX Facility, which seeks to distribute vaccines across the globe.
- establishing the Vaccine Alliance Aotearoa New Zealand – Ohu Kaupare Huaketo to support connecting our scientiﬁc expertise to global research efforts.
- investing in developing New Zealand’s capability to manufacture COVID-19 vaccines, should it be necessary.
A key principle of the Strategy was to ensure timely access to vaccines as they were developed. To achieve this, the Vaccine Strategy Taskforce pursued advance purchase agreements (APAs) while development was ongoing. This ensured no delay in supply to New Zealand.
A portfolio of several APAs increased the likelihood that New Zealand would have suitable vaccines. It meant New Zealand wasn't putting all of our eggs in the same basket.
All of the Taskforce's purchase decisions were informed by independent scientiﬁc and commercial experts, including some of New Zealand’s top immunologists and clinicians on a Science and Clinical Review Panel.
The four candidates New Zealand secured were:
- University of Oxford/AstraZeneca
More than a jab in the arm
Supporting a rollout to vaccinate over 90% of the eligible population within six months needed significant planning and infrastructure.
What else is Pharmac doing?
Pharmac has negotiated many deals to fund COVID-19 treatments for New Zealanders.