Decision to list medical devices supplied by 3M New Zealand Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with 3M New Zealand Limited for listing of medical devices in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 December 2019.
We will list medical devices supplied by 3M in the following categories:
- non-dedicated and consumable infusion devices; and
- surgical drapes, gowns and procedure packs.
In summary this will result in:
- 3M’s medical devices, in the categories above, being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 December 2019 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of non-dedicated and consumable infusion devices, and surgical drapes, gowns and procedure packs as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
No changes were made to the original proposal as a result of consultation feedback.
Who we think will be most interested
- Suppliers and Wholesalers
- DHB Staff
- Ambulatory care
- General wards
- Intensive Care
- Infection control
- Occupational health and safety
- DHB procurement and supply chain personnel
- Other clinical care providers such as ambulance and hospice providers
Details about this decision
In 2018 PHARMAC issued Requests for Proposals ("RFPs") for:
- supply of infusion devices (including non-dedicated and consumable infusion devices and infusion equipment and associated devices) and
- supply of surgical drapes, gowns and procedure packs
These RFPs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing in the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the RFP evaluation processes, and consulting on the provisional Agreement reached with 3M, PHARMAC has decided to list 3M’s medical devices in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 December 2019.
DHBs can continue to choose which non-dedicated and consumable infusion devices, and surgical drapes, gowns and procedure packs they purchase, including those from other suppliers. DHBs that purchase medical devices in the categories above, from 3M, must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Agreement, from 1 December 2019.
The Agreement includes terms and conditions for training and education to be provided by 3M on the appropriate use and maintenance of its products, which is to be provided at times as agreed with individual DHBs.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
No technical or resource impacts anticipated as a result of the proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.