Decision to list medical devices supplied by Medtronic New Zealand Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora hospitals.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora Hospitals supplied by Medtronic New Zealand Limited (“Medtronic”) in the following categories:
- Surgical implants
- Medical and surgical instruments and power tools
- Medical imaging, software and associated products ("medical imaging")
In summary this will result in:
- Medtronic’s medical devices in the above categories being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 August 2023 under a national agreement that all Te Whatu Ora hospitals may purchase under; and
- Te Whatu Ora hospitals being able to purchase other suppliers’ brands of medical devices from the above categories as the agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
There have been no changes to the agreement since consultation.
Who we think will be most interested
- Te Whatu Ora Hospital staff including but not limited to:
- ICU, emergency, and critical care staff
- Neurologists and Neurosurgeons
- Perioperative staff
- Sterile services personnel
- Surgical and general ward staff
- Clinical engineers and maintenance services
- Procurement and supply chain
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
The RFPs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the evaluation processes, and consulting on the provisional agreement with Medtronic, Pharmac has decided to list Medtronic’s surgical implants, medical and surgical instruments and power tools, and medical imaging devices in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 August 2023.
Te Whatu Ora hospitals can continue to choose which surgical implants, medical and surgical instruments and power tools, and medical imaging medical devices they purchase, including those from other suppliers. Te Whatu Ora hospitals that purchase medical devices in these categories must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the agreement from 1 August 2023.
Our response to what you told us
We are really grateful for the time people took to review this proposal during the consultation period. No feedback was received in relation to this proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.