Priority | Māori Leadership and Advice
Te Pātaka Whaioranga – Pharmac increases and supports Māori participation in governance, leadership and management decision making at all levels of the organisation.
“Māori leadership is a requirement under Te Tiriti o Waitangi and integral to a by Māori, for Māori, with Māori approach.”
“Māori leadership at senior leadership level is essential to drive a culture shift at Pharmac to deliver for Māori. A sole senior role is not enough on its own and requires support to ensure Pharmac succeeds in improving outcomes for Māori.”
- Māori leadership in Pharmac reflects the position of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Māori experienced in mātauranga Māori and with strong ties to whānau want to work at Pharmac and are actively recruited.
- Pharmac has strong Māori leadership at multiple levels, including the Pharmac Board, Pharmacology and Therapeutics Advisory Committee (PTAC), expert advisory committees and advisory groups, and understands the community it serves..
- Māori leadership at senior leadership level is in place.
- The proportion of Māori staff experienced in mātauranga Māori and with strong ties to whānau (increased trend).
- The proportion of Māori experienced in mātauranga Māori and with strong ties to whānau are on Board, PTAC, expert advisory committees and advisory groups (increased trend).
August 2022 update
- established an external Māori advisory committee called Te Rōpū which represents each sector and sits at the senior leadership table
- appointed a Māori Chair to the Pharmacology and Therapeutics Advisory Committee (PTAC)
- re-appointed a Māori Chair to the Consumer Advisory Committee (CAC)
- had two Māori Pharmac Board Directors appointed
- set up a new Te Whaioranga team to ensure a Māori focus and started Māori internships with Tupu Toa.
By 2023 we aim to have...
- the Medical Directorate, led by the Chief Medical Officer, actively working towards increased Māori membership on all Specialist Advisory Committees for Pharmac
- focused on increasing Māori internships with the TupuToa programme
- agreed a partnership approach for Te Rōpū and Te Pātaka Whaioranga
- established Te Rōpū processes, secretariat support and finalised their Terms of Reference.