From May 2021, all Updates and new Schedule editions will only be available online.
The last printed and delivered hard copy Schedules will be:
- April 2021 for the Community Schedule
- March 2021 for the Hospital Medicines List (HML).
The Pharmaceutical Schedule will continue to be available online. We will also continue to produce PDF versions which you can download and print if you wish. These follow the same layout as the printed versions you may be familiar with.
Why we’re moving the Schedule online
PHARMAC has printed and posted copies of the Pharmaceutical Schedule and Updates to pharmacies and health sector organisations for many years.
We surveyed users in early 2020 to find out how they were using the Schedule. Their feedback was extremely helpful for our decision making and planning.
In October 2020, we confirmed the Schedule would be moving online-only. This was for several reasons:
- We want to encourage health professionals to use the Schedule website. It's easier to search and has the latest information on it.
- The printed Schedule has a short shelf life. Each new edition supersedes the previous one. This creates paper waste that can now be avoided.
- Savings from printing and posting the Schedule will go into improving the website.
Making improvements as suggested by you
We’ve been improving the Schedule over the past few months based on suggestions from pharmacists and clinicians. Some key features include:
- ‘Look-up’ in the search bar – start typing, and after three letters, suggestions will pop up.
- Search on just four letters – you don’t have to spell out the whole medicine name.
- Access the PDF version – there’s a link on every medicine listing to the PDF.
You can easily jump between the Community Schedule and Hospital Medicines List (HML) on each listing. We’ve also added links to the PSO List and Dermatological ECP flowchart in the Pharmaceutical Schedule menu.
For some community pharmacies, access to an additional computer and reliable internet is an issue. We’ll continue to produce PDFs of the Schedule that can be downloaded and printed.
We are also developing training resources to help users of the online Schedule.
Schedule changes - the last week of the month
We update the online Schedule around the 23rd of each month. The changes come into effect on the 1st of the next month. This means that for the last week of each month you will have to refer to the online PDF version to see the current month’s listings.
Work is underway so you can toggle between the “current” and the “future” Schedule during the last week of the month. We are aiming to do this in 2021.