Proposal to list a range of sterilisation packaging products and associated consumables - supplied by Jackson Allison Medical & Surgical Ltd, Intermed Medical Ltd and 3M New Zealand
PHARMAC is seeking feedback on a proposal to list a range of sterilisation packaging products and sterilisation assurance indicators supplied by Jackson Allison Medical & Surgical Limited (“Jackson Allison”), Intermed Medical Ltd (“Intermed”) and 3M New Zealand (“3M”) in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 June 2016.
The proposal is subject to approval by the PHARMAC Board or its delegate following this consultation.
In summary these proposals would result in:
- A total of 239 sterilisation packaging products and sterilisation assurance indicators being supplied by Jackson Allison, Intermed and 3M under individual proposed national agreements that all DHBs may purchase under, subject to consultation and approval. Many of these products are currently supplied to DHBs. These agreements are not sole supply agreements, and DHBs may continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of these products.
- Jackson Allison – 120 products (pouches, reels, seal controls, chemical indicators and indicator tape)
- Intermed - 88 products (pouches, reels, tray liners, indicator tape and seal controls)
- 3M – 31 products (chemical indicators, biological indicators and indicator tape)
- Estimated total savings to DHBs of $9,000 per annum for the Intermed products, based on current usage of products; no expenditure increases, or savings, to DHBs based on current usage of the Jackson Allison and 3M products (cost neutral offers).
- Jackson Allison, Intermed and 3M continuing to provide educational services that will be tailored to suit the needs of individual DHB Hospitals in format and time as required by DHB Hospitals
Pricing for products in the Jackson Allison agreement, subject to any prior termination of the agreement, would not be increased before 1 June 2018. Pricing for products in the Intermed and 3M agreements, subject to any prior termination of the agreement, would not be increased before 1 June 2019.
The PHARMAC Agreement would supersede any existing DHB contracts with Jackson Allison, Intermed and 3M for the devices listed in Schedule One of the individual Agreements. This would mean a device purchased by a DHB that is listed in a PHARMAC Agreement would have to be purchased at the Price as stated in the Agreement, effective from the date of listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Sterilisation packaging products and sterilisation assurance indicators not listed on the Pharmaceutical Schedule may still be purchased by DHBs, and DHBs are under no obligation to purchase devices from Jackson Allison, Intermed or 3M.
PHARMAC is seeking agreements for the supply of sterilisation packaging products and associated consumables with 10 suppliers. In March, PHARMAC consulted on two provisional agreements for this product category, so this consultation brings us to five out of a potential ten contracts. Subject to negotiations we expect to consult on the remaining potential agreements over the next few months.
PHARMAC welcomes feedback on this proposal. To provide feedback, please submit it in writing by Friday 29 April 2016 to:
Devices Category Manager
PO Box 10254
Fax: 04 460 4995
All feedback received before the closing date will be considered by PHARMAC’s Board (or its delegate) prior to making decisions on these proposals.
Feedback we receive is subject to the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) and we will consider any request to have information withheld in accordance with our obligations under the OIA. Anyone providing feedback, whether on their own account or on behalf of an organisation, and whether in a personal or professional capacity, should be aware that the content of their feedback and their identity may need to be disclosed in response to an OIA request.
We are not able to treat any part of your feedback as confidential unless you specifically request that we do, and then only to the extent permissible under the OIA and other relevant laws and requirements. If you would like us to withhold any commercially sensitive, confidential proprietary, or personal information included in your submission, please clearly state this in your submission and identify the relevant sections of your submission that you would like it withheld. PHARMAC will give due consideration to any such request.
Details of the proposal
PHARMAC has entered into individual provisional agreements with Jackson Allison, Intermed and 3M for a range of sterilisation packaging products and sterilisation assurance indicators. The exact product ranges and pricing in these proposals has not been included in this consultation for brevity, however we are making it available to Procurement Departments at DHBs.
Brand ranges include:
3M Comply Sterigage