Decision to list medical devices supplied by Bard Australia PTY Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of listing agreements for the supply of medical devices to Te Whatu Ora hospitals.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with Bard Australia Pty Limited (“Bard”) for the supply of medical devices in the following categories:
- Non-dedicated and consumable infusion devices ("infusion devices")
- Medical imaging, software, and associated products (“Medical imaging products”)
In summary this will result in:
The above medical devices from Bard being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 December 2023 under a national agreement that all Te Whatu Ora hospitals may purchase under (“Agreement”).
Te Whatu Ora hospitals being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of the medical devices as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
Following consultation one device has been removed from the listing, and pricing for some devices has been altered.
Who we think will be most interested
- Te Whatu Ora staff including but not limited to:
- Clinical engineers and maintenance service personnel
- ICU, emergency, and critical care personnel
- Infection control specialists
- Nurses and general ward personnel
- Perioperative care personnel
- Procurement Officers and supply chain personnel
- Radiology personnel
- Suppliers and wholesalers
Details about this decision
In 2018 and 2020 Pharmac issued the following Requests for Proposals (“RFPs”) for:
- supply of infusion devices (including non-dedicated and consumable infusion devices and infusion equipment and associated devices)
- supply of medical imaging, software and associated products (issued in conjunction with New Zealand Health Partnerships)(external link).
The RFPs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
This is the final agreement to arise from the 2018 RFP for the supply of infusion devices.
After completing the RFP evaluation processes, and consulting on the provisional agreement reached with Bard, Pharmac has decided to list Bard’s range of infusion devices and medical imaging products in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 December 2023.
Te Whatu Ora hospitals can continue to choose infusion devices and medical imaging products they purchase, including those from other suppliers. Te Whatu Ora hospitals that purchase products in this category must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Agreement from 1 December 2023.
Our response to what you told us
We’re really grateful for the time people took to respond to this consultation.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback received are set out below.
Queries on pricing included in the agreement.
Following consultation feedback Pharmac re-engaged with Bard on the concerns raised and changes to the pricing included in the agreement have been made.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at email@example.com; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.