Decision to list medical devices supplied by Invacare New Zealand
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to DHBs.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with Invacare New Zealand (“Invacare”) for the supply of:
In summary this will result in:
- Beds and mattresses, and respiratory equipment and consumables from Invacare being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 June 2022 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under; and
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of beds and mattresses, and respiratory equipment and consumables as this agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
This decision was subject to a consultation letter dated 31 March 2022.
There have been no changes to the agreement since consultation.
Who we think will be most interested
- Suppliers and wholesalers
- DHB staff
- Anaesthetists and Anaesthetic Technicians
- Clinical engineers, maintenance services and facilities staff
- Clinical staff across all areas of hospitals
- Clinical staff involved with airway management and emergency respiratory resuscitation
- Clinical support staff
- DHB loan store staff
- Procurement and supply chain
- Pulmonary function specialists
- Pulmonary rehabilitation specialists
- Respiratory Clinicians
- Respiratory therapists
Details about this decision
In April 2017 Pharmac issued a Request for Proposal (“RFP”) for respiratory equipment and consumables.
In September 2020 Pharmac issued a Registration of Interest (“ROI”) for a range of medical devices, including beds and mattresses, considered for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Both the RFP and ROI were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
The list of products will be available on Pharmac's website from 1 June 2022.
DHBs can continue to choose which beds and mattresses, and respiratory equipment and consumables they procure, include those from other suppliers. DHBs that procure beds and mattresses, and respiratory equipment and consumables from Invacare must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the agreement from 1 June 2022.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation. All consultation responses received were considered in their entirety in making the decision to list medical devices supplied by Invacare.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
Support for listing the medical devices and that the agreement is not for sole supply.
Request for Pharmac to consider the impact of climate change and waste minimisation in the Factors for Consideration.
Pharmac is in the process of exploring how sustainability considerations can be fairly and reasonably embedded into medical devices processes.
Request to submit pressure care mattresses to Pharmac.
This agreement is a result of an opening advertised process which has now closed. As such Pharmac is not accepting alternative commercial proposals for medical devices within the scope of this agreement.
DHB hospitals are able to purchase medical devices from suppliers that are not listed on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.