Decision to list medical devices supplied by Universal Specialities Limited
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for the supply of medical devices to DHBs.
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of the amendment to the PHARMAC listing agreement with Universal Specialities Limited (“USL”) for the supply of:
- non-invasive ventilation equipment and associated products (“NIV products”)
In summary this will result in:
- USL’s medical devices, in the categories above, being listed in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 September 2021 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”); and
- DHBs being able to continue to purchase other suppliers’ brands of non-invasive ventilation medical devices as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
Any changes to the original proposal?
No changes were made to the original proposal as a result of consultation feedback.
Who we think will be most interested
- Suppliers and wholesalers
- DHB staff:
- clinical staff in a range of inpatient, outpatient and community settings where NIV products are used
- respiratory and sleep clinic specialists and support personnel
- pulmonary rehabilitation specialists
- procurement and supply chain personnel
- Users of NIV products
Details about this decision
In 2018 PHARMAC issued a request for proposals (RFP) for:
- supply of non-invasive ventilation equipment, oxygen concentrators, respiratory gas humidifiers and associated products
This RFP was for non-exclusive national agreements for listing in the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the RFP evaluation process, and consulting on the provisional Agreement reached with Draeger, PHARMAC has decided to list Draeger’s medical devices in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 September 2021.
DHBs can continue to choose which non-Invasive ventilation medical device they purchase, including those from other suppliers. DHBs that purchase medical devices in the categories above, from USL, must do so under the terms and conditions, including pricing, in the Agreement, from 1 September 2021.
The Agreement includes terms and conditions for training and education to be provided by USL on the appropriate use of its products, which is to be provided at times as agreed with individual DHBs.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback are set out below:
No technical or resource impacts anticipated as a result of the proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.