Enteral feeds (Abbott): Supply issues
There will be a brief stock shortage for three enteral feed products. There are funded alternatives.
13 May 2021: Update
Paediatric enteral feed 1kcal/ml (PediaSure vanilla) is back in stock.
Cause of the supply issue
The shortage of special food products are caused by continued global pressures with sea freight from COVID-19, adding extra pressure to the supply chain.
We are working with suppliers to manage any extra demand for funded alternative products.
Enteral feed with fibre 1.5kcal/ml
- Affected brand: Ensure Plus HN 250 ml | pharmacode 2372665
- Funded alternative: Ensure Plus 1000ML RTH | pharmacode 2217171
- Affected brand: Jevity HiCal Unf 1000ml | pharmacode 2217139
- Funded alternative: Nutrison Energy Multi Fibre – Nutricia | pharmacode 2016680
Paediatric enteral feed 1kcal/ml: Supply issue resolved
- Affected brand: PediaSure vanilla, 500ml RTH | pharmacode 367958
- Funded alternative: Nutrini RTH – Nutricia | pharmacode 2016168
- Funded alternative: Pediasure 200ml | pharmacode 2444852
Information for health care professionals
There are funded alternatives available which are considered clinically equivalent. However, they may have slightly different macronutrient profiles or administration requirements.
Patients will need new prescriptions to access funding for the alternatives.
Information for people who use enteral feeds
Due to supply problems, you may need to briefly change to another product.
Talk with your doctor, dietitian or pharmacist about the best alternative for you.
We understand that changing products is not easy, we apologise for this situation.
Contact your prescriber or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Who to contact
If you have questions about this stock issue, contact Abbott Customer Service on 0800 737 115