Calcium folinate solution for injection: Supply issue
Sandoz, the supplier have advised that there are supply constraints for this medicine due to manufacturing issues.
28 June 2022 Update
Resupply date added.
We are advised that:
- 5 ml vial (pharmacode 2539195/2611368): is available
- 10 ml vial (pharmacode 2539209): still out of stock, Leucovorin brand is available. Resupply is expected by 1 August 2022.
- 35 ml vial (pharmacode 2539217/2611341): is available
- 100 ml vial (pharmacode 2539225): is available
We are working with the supplier to get a resupply date.
Alternative product available early January 2022
The following products are now being supplied by Pfizer. They were listed in the Schedule from 1 January 2022. Note these products are not Medsafe-approved. They need to be prescribed and dispensed in line with section 29 of the Medicines Act.
- Calcium folinate (Leucovorin Pharmacia) inj 50 mg – PCT – Retail Pharmacy - Specialist, section 29 and wastage claimable
- Calcium folinate inj 100 mg (Leucovorin Pharmacia) – PCT only – Specialist, section 29
- Calcium folinate inj 300 mg (Leucovorin DBL) – PCT only – Specialist, section 29
Prescribing and supplying a medicine under section 29
Section 29 of the Medicines Act allows for medicines that are not Medsafe approved to be prescribed and supplied to people. The medicine must be prescribed by someone registered with the Medical Council of New Zealand – e.g., doctors.
We know supplying a medicine under section 29 is not ideal. This was the only alternatives to ensure New Zealanders could access these products. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.
Who to contact
If you are treated with calcium folinate, talk to your pharmacist or prescriber. They know you best. Pharmac cannot give clinical advice on any individual person.
If you have questions about funding for these products, email us on email@example.com