Bisoprolol: Mylan is your new brand
Bisoprolol fumarate is used to treat a range of cardiovascular conditions, including chronic heart failure, angina and hypertension. The brand is changing from Bosvate to Bisoprolol Mylan.
What is changing?
The funded brand of bisoprolol fumarate is changing from Bosvate to Bisoprolol Mylan.
This change began on 1 November 2020. There will be a five-month transition period, from 1 November 2020 until 1 April 2021.
When the new brand will be available
- From 1 November 2020 Bisoprolol Mylan is fully funded and available
- From 1 April 2021 only Bisoprolol Mylan is fully funded. Bosvate will no longer be funded.
If you want to stay on your current brand of bisoprolol fumarate, you can ask your pharmacist to check its price and availability. PHARMAC cannot guarantee the availability or price of Bosvate after 1 April 2021.
Bisoprolol Mylan works the same way as Bosvate
- Bisoprolol Mylan has the same active ingredient which is delivered to the body in the same way.
- Bisoprolol Mylan has been evaluated by Medsafe to ensure it’s safe.
The only difference is the look. You shouldn’t notice any difference to the effects when you change to Bisoprolol Mylan.
If you have any questions about this change, talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
How Bosvate compares to the new Bisoprolol Mylan*
* Not shown to scale
Your brand is changing to help us fund other medicines
A decision to change a medicine is not taken lightly. Our job is to make sure New Zealanders have access to the medicines they need. Making changes to medicines helps us achieve that by freeing up our limited budget to fund other medicines in the community.
For healthcare professionals
You play an important role in supporting patients through changes to medicines.
Key points to tell your patients about Bisoprolol Mylan
- Bisoprolol Mylan has the same active ingredient as Bosvate
- The new brand is just as safe and works the same as the old brand.
- Patients shouldn’t notice any difference in how it affects them.
- Patients take Bisoprolol Mylan at the same frequency as Bosvate.
Download a flyer for your patient
Brand switch fee for pharmacists
A brand switch fee will be in place to ensure pharmacists are reimbursed for any additional patient counselling required to transition patients successfully.
|Presentation||Bosvate pharmacodes||Bisoprolol Mylan pharmacodes|
|2.5 mg tab||2515865||2588978|
|5 mg tab||2515873||2589095|
|10 mg tab||2515881||2589184|
Who to contact
If you have any questions about changing brands, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.
If you have questions about funding or access criteria:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone 0800 66 00 50