We are funding risdiplam, branded as Evrysdi, to treat spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) for people who meet specific criteria.
How to access risdiplam (Evrysdi)
People taking risdiplam will be able to access their medicine at an agreed nominated collection point – this could be a community pharmacy, a Te Whatu Ora hospital or, if necessary, an alternative location that has a refrigerator and can safely store the medicine.
In some cases, direct delivery may be possible to a person’s home after dispensing.
You will be able to confirm your risdiplam collection point with the dispensing pharmacy.
Send risdiplam prescriptions with the person’s Special Authority details to the relevant central dispensing pharmacy.
- For all North Island based patients:
- For all South Island based patients:
The pharmacy will contact the person/caregiver to provide information about direct delivery and confirm arrangements.
Direct delivery of risdiplam
Roche, the supplier of risdiplam, is responsible for managing a direct delivery programme for risdiplam.
The direct delivery process includes the following steps:
- there will be one or more central dispensing pharmacies that will manage the supply for all eligible people across the country
- the central dispensing pharmacy will dispense supply monthly and reconstitute the medicine into a liquid so it is ready to use
- prescribers will send prescriptions to a central dispensing pharmacy for processing
- the pharmacy will then contact the person/caregiver to confirm the delivery location if this has not yet been arranged
- once dispensed, supply will be delivered to the nominated collection point each month for the person or a caregiver or someone from their whānau to collect
- the medicine should be stored in a refrigerator at the location where the person will receive their daily medicine
- Roche will manage service payments to the central dispensing pharmacies and the nominated collection points.
Details of our decision to fund risdiplam(external link)
Who to contact
If you have any questions about the funding for risdiplam, email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about the direct delivery programme for risdiplam, including
- an upcoming delivery arrangement
- whether a prescription for risdiplam has been received
- if any personal details or delivery arrangements need to be updated
Please contact the relevant central dispensing pharmacy directly:
- Auckland City Hospital Outpatient Pharmacy(external link) (North Island based patients)
- Parkside Pharmacy – Christchurch(external link) (South Island based patients)
For questions about risdiplam (Evrysdi), to report an adverse event (side effect) or product quality defect, or to find information in the event of a temperature excursion, visit Roche's website(external link) or phone 0800 276 243.