Notification lidocaine 4% cream
PHARMAC is pleased to announce the approval of an agreement with Orion Laboratories (NZ) Limited to list lidocaine 4% cream (LMX4).
In summary, lidocaine 4% cream (30 g pack) and lidocaine 4% cream (5 g x 5 pack) will be listed from 1 August 2015:
- in Section B of the Pharmaceutical Schedule, subject to the same Special Authority criteria that currently apply to lidocaine 2.5% with prilocaine 2.5% cream (EMLA); and
- in Part II of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule with no restrictions.
Details of the decision
- Lidocaine 4% cream (LMX4) will be listed in Section B and in Part II of Section H (the Hospital Medicines List, or HML) of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 August 2015 at the following price and subsidy (ex-manufacturer, excluding GST):
Chemical Presentation Brand Pack size Price and subsidy Lidocaine [lignocaine] Cream 4% LMX4 30 g OP $27.00 Lidocaine [lignocaine] Cream 4% (5 g tubes) LMX4 5 $27.00
- Lidocaine 4% cream (LMX4) will be listed in Section B of the Pharmaceutical Schedule subject to the same Special Authority criteria as lidocaine 2.5% with prilocaine 2.5% cream (EMLA), as follows:
Special Authority for Subsidy
Initial application from any relevant practitioner. Approvals valid for 2 years where the patient is a child with a chronic medical condition requiring frequent injections or venepuncture.
Renewal from any relevant practitioner. Approvals valid for 2 years where treatment remains appropriate and the patient is benefiting from treatment.
- A single Special Authority will apply to both EMLA and LMX4, meaning that either product will be fully subsidised if prescribed and dispensed after a Special Authority application is approved.
- Lidocaine 4% cream (LMX4) will be listed in Part II of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule with no restrictions.
We appreciate all of the feedback that we received and acknowledge the time people took to respond. All consultation responses received were considered in their entirety in making a decision on the proposed changes. Most responses were supportive of the proposal. One responder had a number of queries in relation to the product, and we will respond to them directly.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.