Key reporting documents
This page presents PHARMAC's main accountability and reporting documents.
On this page
The Statement of Intent (SOI) is published every three years. This document provides an overview of our strategic priorities for the next four years, as well as specific performance targets and measures.
On 1 July 2020, PHARMAC began its new strategic direction, which informs our SOI.
- Statement of Intent 2020 212023 24 [PDF 3.8 MB]
The Statement of Performance Expectations is published at the beginning of each financial year (July), after submitting to the Minister of Health. This document outlines the work we intend to do in the coming financial year as well as specific performance targets and measures.
- Statement of performance expectations 2020 21 [PDF 3.2 MB]
Letter of Expectations
The Minister of Health's expectations for PHARMAC's strategic direction, and the specific priorities for the following three years, are reflected in a letter of expectations. A letter of expectations can be issued at any time, but normally coincides with the development of the Statement of Performance Expectations (SPE) as the SPE must reflect the content of the letter of expectations.
- 2021 22 Annual Letter of Expectation Minister Little [PDF 251 KB]
- 2021 22 Response to Letter of Expectations [PDF 220 KB]
Each year, the Minister of Health and PHARMAC enter into an Output Agreement which is effectively a contractual form of the Statement of Intent. The purpose of an output agreement is to:
- assist the Minister and PHARMAC to clarify, align and manage their respective expectations and responsibilities for the funding and production of certain outputs, and
- set the particular standards, terms and conditions under which PHARMAC will deliver and be paid for the specified outputs.
- Output Agreement 2020/21 [PDF 1.3 MB]
The Annual Report is our main reporting mechanism to Parliament, and is usually tabled in late October. The Annual Report outlines our performance compared to the performance targets set in the previous year's Statement of Performance Expectations.
- Annual Report 2019 2020 [PDF 4.3 MB]
In line with the Minister's expectations and to aid transparency, PHARMAC is publishing quarterly updates on its performance against measures published in its current Statement of Performance Expectations.
Performance for completed financial years is outlined in the Annual Reports for those years.
We've published the Year in Review (previously the Annual Review) since 1995. This provides a more detailed summary of pharmaceutical usage patterns than the Annual Report, and also discusses issues of interest around pharmaceuticals. The Review is aimed at a broad readership and contains information on pharmaceutical prescribing over time, as well as highlighting the work we undertake in optimal use of medicines and our work with DHBs.
- Briefing to the Incoming Minister November 2020 [PDF 935 KB]
In line with a practice introduced by the State Services Commission (SSC), PHARMAC reports its Chief Executive's expenses for the previous financial year by 31 July each year. The SSC policy can be found on the SSC's website.
- CE Expenses 1 July 2019 30 June 2020 [XLSX 76 KB]
Read more about:
We also publish most of our responses to Official Information Act requests.
To obtain hard copies of any of these publications, visit our online order service www.pharmaconline.co.nz(external link)